Orange Vanilla Egg Custard
How to Make Orange Vanilla Egg Custard
- Preheat oven to 300° F.
Place six 4-oz. ramekins in a deep baking pan, large enough to hold them with space in between each ramekin.
- in a heavy pot, bring milk to a simmer on medium-low heat and then remove from heat.
- Mix the eggs, yolks, sugar, salt, and vanilla extract in a mixing bowl.
- Add a little bit of the milk to the eggs and whisk to warm the eggs up and then add everything back to the pot and whisk to combine. Add the orange zest and let steep for 5 minutes.
- Divide the mixture evenly among the six ramekins. Place the pan on a rack in the middle of the oven. Pour hot (not boiling) water into the pan until it reaches halfway up the sides of the cups.
- Bake 30-35 minutes, or until custards are just set. Remove pan from oven and let custards cool in water bath for about 2 hours.
- Serve at room temperature or chill first. Good with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream.