How to Make Mocha Custards
- 1Preheat oven to 325F. Bring 4 cups of water to a boil in a tea kettle or saucepan.
- 2In medium saucepan over medium-low heat, combine milk, sugar, cocoa, and coffee granules. Cook and stir just until sugar, cocoa and coffee are dissolved. DO NOT BOIL. Let cool slightly.
- 3In a medium bowl gradually whisk milk mixture into eggs. Add vanilla.
- 4Place six 6-ounce custard cups or ramekins in a rectangular baking dish. Divide egg mixture evenly among the 6 cups.
- 5Place baking dish on oven rack and carefully pour boiling water around the custard cups into the baking dish, about 1-inch deep.
- 6Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- 7Remove cups from baking dish and cool on wire rack for at least 15 minutes.
- 8Serve warm, of if you want them chilled, cool 1 hour on rack and then chill for at least 2 hours before serving.
- 9If desired, top with whipped topping of your choice.