Luscious Coconut Black Rice Pudding
1 cuncooked forbidden rice (chinese black rice)
1 clight coconut milk
1/4 tsppure vanilla extract
1/4 cchopped golden raisins
·for the topping:
2 clight coconut milk
1/4 cpalm sugar (or substitute light agave nectar)
1/4 cpure vanilla extract
·for the garnish:
1/2 cshredded coconut, toasted
How to Make Luscious Coconut Black Rice Pudding
- Place rice and water in a medium size bowl. Cover and place in a warm place for 12 hours, or overnight.
- Using a fine sieve, strain the rice.
- Place rice, coconut milk, vanilla extract, and raisins in a small saucepan. Stir and bring to a gentle boil, turn down the heat to low, and cook until the rice is creamy, about 10 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, combine 1 cup of coconut milk, palm sugar, and vanilla extract in a small saucepan. Turn heat to low.
- In a medium size bowl, combine remaining coconut milk with tapioca. Pour into the coconut- sugar mixture and whisk until it thickens and starts to bubble, about 5 minutes. Cool slightly.
- Place cooked rice in a serving dish and top it with the prepared coconut milk and sugar mixture. Garnish with chopped mangos and shredded coconut. Serve warm.
- Notes: Forbidden rice, also known as Chinese black rice, is packaged by Lotus Foods and sold at Whole Foods and many gourmet grocers.