Brotauflauf - Swiss Bread Pudding
From BEWAEHRTE KOCHREZEPTE AUS GRAUBUENDEN / TESTED RECIPES FROM THE
GRAUBUNDEN, by the Chur Chapter of the Swiss Women's Institutes: translated by Diane Duane
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
200 gfresh bread rolls
2dl white wine or milk
50 gmelted butter
1juice of lemon
1zest of lemon
4egg whites, beaten stiff
How to Make Brotauflauf - Swiss Bread Pudding
- Cut the bread rolls into thin slices.
- Put them in a saucepan, pour over the wine or milk, and heat them gently, breaking them up a little as they soften.
- Combine the melted butter, sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice and zest, rum, and egg yolks, beat well, and add them to the bread and wine/milk mixture and mix well.
- Carefully fold in the egg whites, and put the mixture into a buttered souffle dish.
- Bake at 375 F for an hour.
- Serve with a vanilla sauce, or one based on white wine.