Brotauflauf - Swiss Bread Pudding
From BEWAEHRTE KOCHREZEPTE AUS GRAUBUENDEN / TESTED RECIPES FROM THE
GRAUBUNDEN, by the Chur Chapter of the Swiss Women's Institutes: translated by Diane Duane
- 200 g
- fresh bread rolls
- dl white wine or milk
- 50 g
- melted butter
- 200 g
- 1/2 tsp
- juice of lemon
- zest of lemon
- 2 Tbsp
- egg yolks
- egg whites, beaten stiff
How to Make Brotauflauf - Swiss Bread Pudding
- 1Cut the bread rolls into thin slices.
- 2Put them in a saucepan, pour over the wine or milk, and heat them gently, breaking them up a little as they soften.
- 3Combine the melted butter, sugar, cinnamon, lemon juice and zest, rum, and egg yolks, beat well, and add them to the bread and wine/milk mixture and mix well.
- 4Carefully fold in the egg whites, and put the mixture into a buttered souffle dish.
- 5Bake at 375 F for an hour.
- 6Serve with a vanilla sauce, or one based on white wine.