Barry's Eclairs and Cream Puffs
1/2 c(1 stick) unsalted butter
1 call purpose flour
1 largeegg white
1/2 cunsalted butter
10 ozsemi-sweet baking chocolate
1/8 tspvanilla extract
1/2 cconfectioner sugar
How to Make Barry's Eclairs and Cream Puffs
- Prepare pudding, using your favorite recipe, and put in the refrigerator.
- Cut one stick of butter into half inch pieces and melt in a saucepan.
- Add one cup of water and salt into saucepan with the butter and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat. Using a wooden spoon, quickly stir in a cup of all purpose flour.
- Return to medium-high heat and stir constantly until the mixture pulls away from the side and a film forms on the bottom of the pan. This takes about 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Use a wooden spoon and mix fast by hand until slightly cooled, about 1 minute.
- Continue to stir while adding eggs one at a time until a soft peak forms when touched with your finger. If peak does not form, lightly beat remaining egg white and mix into the batter, a little at a time, until it does.
- Add mixture to a pastry bag(or zip lock bag with a corner cut out).
- Squeeze a 3 inch long section of the batter onto a buttered cookie sheet. Yields 12-16 (To make the cream puffs, squeeze batter straight down to make a "mound").
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and punch a hole in the end. Bake for 10 minutes more. Turn the oven off and let cool in the oven for 10 more minutes
- To make the glaze, slowly melt the butter, chocolate and vanilla together. Stir until evenly mixed together. Remove from heat and drizzle on the eclairs or cram puffs.