Toasted Coconut Cream Pie-My Moms Recipe
Mary R Morris
- 3-cup's of half and half cream
- 2-large eggs
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of all purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/4 cups of flaked coconut -toasted
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1- graham cracker crust (9 inch )
- 1-8oz tub of cool whip(thawed)
How to Make Toasted Coconut Cream Pie-My Moms Recipe
- 1In a medium saucepan combine half and half, sugar, eggs, flour and salt. Bring to a boil, over low heat stirring constantly until it thickens.
- 2Remove from heat and stir in 1 cup of the toasted coconut and the vanilla extract. Pour into the Graham Cracker Crust and chill 3-4 hours or until firm. NOTE: I always place a circle of wax paper I have pre-cut to fit the top of the pie crust on the filling after it is poured. This will keep a skin from forming on the filling. Some use clear plastic wrap. Both work.
- 3After pie is cold, remove the paper or wrap, and top with Cool Whip, about three fourth of the tub.Then sprinkle the rest of the toasted coconut on top of the Cool Whip. Use the amount of Cool Whip you and your family like when frosting the pie. Mine like a lot so I use 3/4 the tub... NOTE: BE SURE YOU TOAST THE COCONUT, THAT IS THE SECRET TO THIS PIE.....I toast the coconut before I start the filling, that way it is already done when I have to add it to the filling.