Sweet Potato Cobbler
- 3 c
- self rising flour
- 3/4 c
- plus 1 tbs. vegetable shortening
- egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp
- white vinegar
- medium sweet potatoes
- 5 c
- 3/4 tsp
- ground nutmeg
- 1 c
- butter, softened
- 1/4 tsp
How to Make Sweet Potato Cobbler
- 1In a larger bowl, using a fork or pastry blender, cut the shortening into the flour until it resembles coarse meal.
- 2Whisk together the egg, vinegar and 1 cup of ice water in a small bowl. Pour into the flour mixture. Mix first with a wooden spoon and then your hands into a dough.
- 3Form dough into 3 balls, wrap each in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- 4Put potatoes, sugar (reserve 1 TBS for later) nutmeg, and 6 cups of water into a large pot; bring to a boil over high. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are just tender. Remove from heat
- 5Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- 6Roll a dough ball out into a 10x13 rectangle and cut lengthwise into 3 equal strips. Line ONLY the sides of the pan with dough strips, pressing them together where the sides meet.
- 7Bake until crust is a light golden color.
- 8Remove pan from oven, fill with half of the sweet potatoes and their water, and dot with 6 TBS. of the butter.
- 9Roll the second dough ball out into a 10x13 rectangle; drape it over the potatoes. Melt 4 Tbsp. of the butter and brush dough with half of it.
- 10Bake until golden brown
- 11Remove pan from oven, top with the remaining sweet potatoes and water and dot with remaining 6 Tbsp. of butter.
- 12Roll remaining dough ball out into a 10x13 rectangle, drape it over the potatoes. Brush with remaining melted butter.
- 13Bake until golden brown, 25-30 min.
- 14Remove cobbler from oven and sprinkle with reserved cinnamon and sugar. Let cool completely. Good luck we always eat ours warm !