- 12 oz
- all purpose flour=3 cups sifted all purpose flour
- extra flour for dusting
- 1/4 c
- castor(super fine) sugar (optional)
- 3 oz
- butter, unsalted chilled and diced
- 3 oz
- chilled shortening diced
- 4-41/2 tablespoons ice cold water
How to Make Short Crust Pastry (or pie dough)
- 1In a chilled mixing bowl place flour,sugar,butter
and shortening.Mix together using electric mixer it should resemble bread crumbs.With mixer running gradually add the ice water and mix just until it forms into a ball.
- 2Place into a plastic bag and chill at least 15 minutes.On a lightly floured surface gently knead and
roll out to desired thickness,turning dough a quarter turn after each roll.Cut into desired shape.
- 3Tips:Keep everything as cold as possible.If dough is to warm it will stick and tear,re chill it.
If to much liquid is added it will make dough,tough and hard.Use just enough liquid to bind into a ball.
Avoid over flouring the rolling surface,to much flour makes a very stiff and hard dough.When prebaking (or blind baking crust) pie
weights or dried beans are used to prevent crust from bubbling
- 4The castor sugar can be omitted if making savory pie or tart.