Rose Mary's Mile High Apple Pie
Rose Mary Mogan
It does take some time and patience to make this pie, but I figured he was worth my efforts, and he loved the results. Which made me happy.
2 1/2-3 lbgranny smith apples
3 lbgala or golden delicious apples
3/4 cgranulated or splenda granular
1/2 cbrown sugar packed, or splenda blend brown sugar
2 Tbsplemon juice
2 tspground cinnamon
1 tspground nutmeg
6 Tbspbutter divided
4 Tbspcorn starch
2 tspraw sugar( turbinado) optional
1double crust refrigerated pie crust, room temperature
·or home made double pie crust
1 largeegg, room temperature
How to Make Rose Mary's Mile High Apple Pie
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Wash core and peel apples, and thinly slice into a very large bowl. Drizzle with lemon juice to prevent browning. Mix by hand to evenly distribute juice.
- Mix both sugars in a smaller bowl, add cinnamon nutmeg and salt, then sprinkle evenly over apples to coat, and mix to evenly distribute mixture over apples. Then allow to sit for 15 to 30 minutes. Unroll one of the pie crust into pie plate, and shape to fit, then put in fridge till ready to fill.
- Place a large strainer over a large bowl, and add apples, and allow juices from apples to drain into bowl for about half an hour. There should be an accumulation of at least 3/4 to 1 cup of apple juice
- Spray a 4 cup glass measuring cup with non stick cooking spray, then add the accumulated juice, then add 3 tablespoons of butter, place in microwave and microwave on high for at least 10 minutes, till mixture becomes syrupy & thick. If after 10 minutes mixture is not thick and syrupy add an addition 1 to 3 minutes, in 1 minute intervals. Will not get as syrupy id using splenda. Allow to cool.
Remove pie crust from fridge to bring to room temperature, while apple juice is cooling.
- Place cookie sheet in oven to preheat.Sprinkle the apples with the 4 tablespoons of corn starch and stir to mix, then add the cooled apple juice mixture to the apples and mix together.
- Now add apples to pie crust and dot with remaining 3 tablespoons of butter. Cover apples with remaining pie crust. Tuck top crust underneath the bottom crust, and then flute with fingers.
- Next crack an egg into a small bowl and add 2 teaspoons of water, and beat till well mixed together. Then brush egg wash over entire top of pie crust.
- Now cut 5 to 6 slits in top of pie crust to allow steam to escape as pie bakes.Lastly sprinkle top of crust with raw sugar(turbinado sugar) Then Place pie in a preheated 425 degree F. Oven on a preheated cookie sheet, and bake for 15 minutes.
- REDUCE TEMPERATURE AFTER 15 MINUTES TO 350 degrees F. and continue to bake for an additional 50 to 55 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. ALLOW PIE TO COOL COMPLETELY BEFORE SLICING.
- NOTE: RAW SUGAR(Turbinado Sugar) can be found in most large grocery stores, I found mine at Wal Mart, in the baking isle. This is a sugar used often by food stylists. I use it for eye appeal but it is optional.
Note if you are using splenda Brown there is no need to pack the cup, only pack when using regular brown sugar.