Real Key Lime Pie from Key West
PS- Real Key lime pie is not green and it does not have a soft "pudding" texture. The pie gets its true pale yellow color from the egg yolks that predominate the ingredient list. And the texture is a "firm custard".
16graham crackers, crushed
3 Tbspgranulated sugar
1/4 lbunsalted butter
4 largeegg yolks
14 ozsweetened condensed milk
1/2 cfresh key lime juice (approximately 12 key limes)
2 tsplime peel, grated, green portion only
WHIPPING CREAM FOR GARNISH (OPTIONAL)
1/2 cheavy whipping cream
2 tspgranulated sugar
1/4 tspmadagascar pure vanilla extract
How to Make Real Key Lime Pie from Key West
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Mix the ingredients together and press them into a 9 inch pie plate (glass or pre-formed tin is your option)
3. Bake in oven in middle rack for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned.
4. Remove from oven, and cool on rack.
Note: Do not turn off the oven, as you will be baking the next portion of the pie momentarily.
- PIE FILLING:
1. In a stand mixer with the whipping attachment, beat the egg yolks on medium speed until they are thick and turn yellow, DO NOT OVER MIX!
2. Turn the mixer off and add the sweetened condensed milk, and turn the mixer speed to low and drizzle 1/2 of the lime juice, once the lime juice is incorporated, add the other half of the juice and the zest, continue to mix until melted (just a few seconds),
3. Pour the mixture into the pie shell.
4. Bake at 350 degrees F for 12 minutes to set the yolks.
5. Remove from oven and cool to room temperature and then refrigerate for approximately 2 hours to set.
- WHIPPING CREAM:
1. In a stainless steel medium bowl, combine whipping cream, sugar and vanilla and whisk by hand until creamy peaks form.
Take the pie out of the refrigerator and slice pie in 8th's. Plate pie and add dollop of whip cream! Try it also with some toasted coconut too!