Raspberry Pie Recipe for Valentine's Day
Raspberry Romance Pie sends two opposite tastes and textures on a honeymoon of chocolate bliss. Tart juicy raspberries drizzled in melted dark chocolate lie in a bed of creamy vanilla custard. The custard floats over a short crust lathered in raspberry jam.
Come visit Mary and Julie, at www.piebite.com -- Two Women Dish on Pie.
Blue Ribbon Recipe
What a pretty pie! The custard-like filling is wonderful in this pie. If raspberries aren't your thing you can always change out the fruit and preserves to your liking. But, we really loved the raspberries! The Test Kitchen
- blind-baked pie shell
- 1/2 c
- raspberry preserves
- 1 Tbsp
- 2/3 c
- 4 Tbsp
- 1/4 tsp
- 2-1/2 c
- egg yolks, lightly beaten in a separate bowl
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 1 pt
- fresh raspberries, washed, dried
- 1/2 c
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 Tbsp
- shortening (solid, not oil
CREAM PIE FILLING
How to Make Raspberry Pie Recipe for Valentine's Day
- 1PIE CRUST
- 2In a small, heavy bottomed sauce pan, heat the preserves until the jam part becomes liquid. Mix in cornstarch.
- 3When thickened slightly, spread into bottom of the blind-baked, cooled pie shell.
- 4Set aside. Allow perserves to gel. They will be tacky to the touch.
- 5CREAM PIE FILLING
- 6Line up premeasured ingredients next to the stove.
- 7In a medium sized heavy bottomed sauce pan, whisk dry ingredients.
- 8Add milk, whisking to make sure all dry ingredients are dissolved.
- 9Place sauce pan over medium flame. Stir constantly until thickened. It will take between 5 and 8 minutes for the milk mixture to become as thick as homemade cream gravy.
- 10Remove from the flame. With a ladle, mix about 1/3 of the thickened milk mixture into the beaten egg yolks.
- 11Once mixed, add back to the the milk mixture. Return to flame.
- 12Boil for one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from flame.
- 13Add butter and vanilla extract. Stir until mixed.
- 14Allow mixture to become tepid. Pour carefully over preserve-coated pie shell, taking care not to smear preserves up into the filling. Allow to cool to room temperature. The filling will not be set.
- 16Cover the top of the pie filling with raspberries pointed side up in rows.
- 17Melt the chocolate and shortening in a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Mix until completely melted.
- 18Dip a fork into the chocolate mix, coating the tines. Drizzle the chocolate over the rasperries in a pretty pattern.
- 19Allow the pie to "set" for at least 2 hours, with the last 1/2 hour to 1 hour in the refrigerator.