Raspberry Pie Recipe for Valentine's Day
Raspberry Romance Pie sends two opposite tastes and textures on a honeymoon of chocolate bliss. Tart juicy raspberries drizzled in melted dark chocolate lie in a bed of creamy vanilla custard. The custard floats over a short crust lathered in raspberry jam.
Come visit Mary and Julie, at www.piebite.com -- Two Women Dish on Pie.
- blind-baked pie shell
- 1/2 c
- raspberry preserves
- 1 Tbsp
- 2/3 c
- 4 Tbsp
- 1/4 tsp
- 2-1/2 c
- egg yolks, lightly beaten in a separate bowl
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 1 pt
- fresh raspberries, washed, dried
- 1/2 c
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 Tbsp
- shortening (solid, not oil
CREAM PIE FILLING
How to Make Raspberry Pie Recipe for Valentine's Day
- 1PIE CRUST
- 2In a small, heavy bottomed sauce pan, heat the preserves until the jam part becomes liquid. Mix in cornstarch.
- 3When thickened slightly, spread into bottom of the blind-baked, cooled pie shell.
- 4Set aside. Allow perserves to gel. They will be tacky to the touch.
- 5CREAM PIE FILLING
- 6Line up premeasured ingredients next to the stove.
- 7In a medium sized heavy bottomed sauce pan, whisk dry ingredients.
- 8Add milk, whisking to make sure all dry ingredients are dissolved.
- 9Place sauce pan over medium flame. Stir constantly until thickened. It will take between 5 and 8 minutes for the milk mixture to become as thick as homemade cream gravy.
- 10Remove from the flame. With a ladle, mix about 1/3 of the thickened milk mixture into the beaten egg yolks.
- 11Once mixed, add back to the the milk mixture. Return to flame.
- 12Boil for one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from flame.
- 13Add butter and vanilla extract. Stir until mixed.
- 14Allow mixture to become tepid. Pour carefully over preserve-coated pie shell, taking care not to smear preserves up into the filling. Allow to cool to room temperature. The filling will not be set.
- 16Cover the top of the pie filling with raspberries pointed side up in rows.
- 17Melt the chocolate and shortening in a heavy bottomed sauce pan. Mix until completely melted.
- 18Dip a fork into the chocolate mix, coating the tines. Drizzle the chocolate over the rasperries in a pretty pattern.
- 19Allow the pie to "set" for at least 2 hours, with the last 1/2 hour to 1 hour in the refrigerator.