Perfect Pie Crust Everytime
I have used it for 50 years and taught my sons and their wives with this recipe.
- everything you use must come from the refrig and freezer
- 1 c
- chilled all purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 c
- frozen shortening or 1/4 cup butter and 1/4 shortening..this is called cracked shortening or cracked butter
- 1/4 tsp
- ice water
How to Make Perfect Pie Crust Everytime
- 1Add the salt to the flour. Cut the shortening and or butter into small pieces in a chilled bowl.
With a pastry blender or two knives cut in the butter and shortening into the flour until it looks like coarse meal or clay cat litter. Add a few drops of ice water until it starts to stick together. Knead only with your fingers the dough so it is all together. Add a few drops of ice water it if doesn't stick together. You don't want the dough to be sticking.. You also want to see some streaks of butter and or shortening in your dough. If you don't see them then you have over kneaded it.
- 2Put in waxpaper in the refrig for 20 minutes.
Roll out on a lightly floured surface with a lightly floured rolling pin.
- 3Place in pie pan and replace in the refrig.
Prepare your filling and fill your pie shell.
If you are making a double crust pie then double the recipe. But you will fill your pie and then put the top crust on then put if back in the refrig for 20 minutes. Then bake.
Never put hot pie filling in crust. Let the filling cool down. Chilled is even better. Hot pie fillings make for a soggy bottom crust!