Perfectly Simple Apple Cranberry Pie
Cindy Smith Bryson
Especially so if you use a refrigerated (prepared) pie crust. I like to use a lattice top to showcase the colorful berries but please make this pie your own with your fave top crust. The yummy taste combination with the tartness of cranberries paired with the sweetness of apples will give your taste buds a tingle! Your only spice to add is apple pie spice. That and a dash of vanilla and a splash of RUM; who can resist? Who would even want to?!?
- 3 c
- sweet or tart sweet apples, cored, peeled, and sliced
- 1 c
- cranberries, fresh, chopped
- 2/3 c
- white sugar
- 3 Tbsp
- ap flour
- 1 tsp
- (heaping) apple pie spice
- 2 tsp
- rum (cooks choice) or rum extract to taste
- 1 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- refrigerated pie crusts or your own pastry for double crust pie
- egg, whipped for crust wash
- 1 Tbsp
- heavy whipping cream
How to Make Perfectly Simple Apple Cranberry Pie
- 1Preheat oven toWash and dry cranberries and coarsely chop. Peel apples, wash and core them. Slice apples into nice even slices.
- 2Combine apples and chopped cranberries in medium size bowl. Toss with sugar, flour, and apple pie spice. Pour rum and vanilla into bowl and stir lightly to distribute.
- 3Press a pie crust into a 9 inch pan. Pour your apple mixture into crust. Roll out the second crust. Cut into even strips and interweave in a basket pattern to form a lattice top. Flute the edge of bottom pie crust to cover the strips.
- 4Whisk the egg wash with cream to combine. Using a pastry brush, wash top of pie with egg/cream wash. Sprinkle some cinnamon over wash (optional).
- 5Place pie on cookie sheet. Cover lightly with foil and @ 450 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove foil and reduce heat to 350 degrees. Bake for another 40 minutes. Let pie cool for several hours on cooling rack prior to slicing to serve.