Penny's Sour Cherry Pie
★★★★★ 1 vote5
·pastry for a double crust pie
1 cbrown sugar
5 cfresh pitted tart cherries
1 ccherry juice
1 Tbspbutter, cut into tiny bits
3/4 tsppure almond extract
1 tsppure vanilla extract
How to Make Penny's Sour Cherry Pie
- Fill the bottom of a 9" pie pan with rolled out pastry dough.
- Place the cherries in a large bowl. Mix together the sugar, brown sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon, then pour into the bowl over the cherries. Stir with a large spoon until evenly distributed.
- Mix the cherry juice with the almond extract and the vanilla extract in a small bowl and then pour it over the cherries. Stir with a large spoon until well mixed. Spoon the cherries carefully into the pie pan, spreading them out evenly as you go. Scatter the butter bits evenly over the filling.
- Roll out the top crust, and using a table knife make several small decorative vents in the crust so the steam can escape during baking. Using your fingers and some water, dampen the outer edge of the bottom crust. Carefully center the top crust over the pan and gently press down around the outer edge. Leaving about a half inch overhang of the two crusts, trim off any excess dough. Turn the edges under, then crimp decoratively. If you like brush the top of the pie with an egg was made with 1 beaten egg yolk and 1 teaspoon of water. This gives the pie a shiny golden surface. If you prefer, make a lattice top for the pie. Don't know how? There are various ways to do it. This is the method I use which is quite easy one you try it! annies-eats.com/...lattice-pie-crust
- Bake the pie at 400°F for 30 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350°F and bake 30-40 minutes more until the crust is beautifully golden and the filling is bubbling enthusiastically. Good idea to put a cookie sheet on the rack below the pie - otherwise you'll get lots to clean up from the bottom of your oven! Cool for at least 3 hours on a rack.