Paw-Paw Joe's Toasted Coconut Pie
19 inch pie crust baked to directions
2 cheavy whipping cream
1 1l/2 cwhole or 2% milk
1 box3.4 oz instant vanilla pudding
1 box3.4 oz instant coconut cream pudding
2 ccoconut (toasted)
1/2 tspcream of tartar
1/2 tspcoconut extract or vanilla extract
6 Tbspwhite sugar
How to Make Paw-Paw Joe's Toasted Coconut Pie
- Bake 9 inch pie shell according to directions if using store bought. Or bake shell homemade.
Let cool completely.
- TOAST COCONUT IN OVEN UNTIL LIGHTLY BROWNED. (watch carefully coconut burns very easily!)
Let cool completely
- In a stand mixer using the whisk or in a bowl with a regular hand mixer beat heavy whipping cream until it starts to stiffen.
- When heavy whipping cream starts to stiffen stop mixer and add 1 box of pudding mix on lowest setting just until it is starting to combine.
- Once first box of pudding starts to combine stop mixer and add half the milk and second box of pudding and on lowest setting again mix until it starts to combine and then add rest of milk and mix on low
- Once milk is mixed in turn mixer to high speed and mix until mixture is stiff but fluffy. (If using hand-mixer mix on highest speed. If using Kitchen-Aid or stand mixer mix on 8 speed)
- Once mixed place in refrigerator.
- MERINGUE TOPPING.
Again in mixing bowl or stand mixer bowl using the whisk or hand mixer
Separate 4 egg whites into a mixing bowl.
Add 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon Coconut or Vanilla Extract
6 tablespoons white sugar (reg. sugar not confectioners)
- Mix or Whip all ingredients on high speed until stiff peaks form and meringue is glossy and silky looking. This can take a few minutes so don't give up! :)
- Remove pudding filling from fridge and add 2/3 of the toasted coconut to it by folding it in gently.
- Once toasted coconut is folded in spread mixture into cooled prepared pie shell.
- Sprinkle half of remaining toasted coconut onto filling. This keeps the meringue topping from sliding off :)
- Next pile the meringue topping onto the filling
- Turn oven onto low broil and place pie in oven.
Leave oven door open and watch the topping cook. This will only take less then 1 minute! So keep a close eye on it. Don't walk away from it!
- Sprinkle the rest of the toasted coconut on top of the pie.
- Paw-Paw Joe's Toasted Coconut Cream Pie is ready to serve!
Cover and Refrigerate any leftovers.