Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie
Mary Kay Nugent
NOTE: The pie in the picture has half (3/4 cup) of the coconut that is in the filling UNTOASTED...you can toast it all or only half for the topping...whichever you prefer.
- 3 c
- half and half
- large eggs
- 3/4 c
- granulated sugar
- 1/2 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp
- 1 1/2 c
- flaked coconut - toasted (if you choose, you can only toast 3/4 cup for the topping and use untoasted in the filling, whichever you prefer)
- 1 tsp
- pure vanilla extract
- 1 - 8 oz
- whipped topping
- 1 - 9
- deep dish pie shell baked
How to Make Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie
- 1To toast the coconut heat oven to 350; put coconut on non stick pan and bake 5-7 minutes stirring every couple minutes. I do this while baking pie shell.
- 2Combine half and half, eggs, sugar, flour, and salt. Bring to boil over low heat, stirring constantly. Cook for approximately 30 min.Or until you reach desired thickness. Remove from heat.
- 3Remove from heat and add 3/4 c. of the coconut and vanilla. Pour into baked pie shell and chill 2-4 hours.
- 4Top with whipped topping and remaining coconut.Serve. Refrigerate any remaining but there probably won't be ;-)