My Mother's Apple Pie
1pie crust (top and bottom)
10inch pie plate -- deep dish
5 cthinly sliced tart apple (granny smith ok)
3whole eggs, lightly beaten
1 3/4 cmilk
How to Make My Mother's Apple Pie
- Thinly slice 5 cups of apples (about 4 apples -- or about 2 pounds) and place in crust. 1/4 inch slices -- to layer up on each other and leave spaces for custard to seep in between
- Mix together the custard filling ingredients and pour it over the apples.
- Top with other pie crust and Bake 400 F for 15 minutes
Then bake 350 F for 30 minutes
- ALTERNATE: Some people prefer a streusel topping so here is what you will need for that:
- To make the streusel topping: lightly spoon
1/3 cup all-purpose flour into a measuring cup, and level with a knife. Combine the flour with
1/3 cup packed brown sugar, and
1/2 tsp. cinnamon.
Cut 2 1/2 tablespoons of butter into small pieces; then cut into the flour mixture using a pastry cutter or a fork -- it will be crumbly. Set aside in fridge.
- For Streusel topping: Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes.
Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees;
sprinkle the streusel over the pie and bake for an additional 40 minutes.