My Grandmother's Chocolate Pie
CHOCOLATE PIE FILLING
4 Tbspcocoa powder
1 1/2 cmilk
19 inch pie crust, baked
How to Make My Grandmother's Chocolate Pie
- FOR CHOCOLATE PIE FILLING:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all dry ingredients (cocoa, flour, and sugar) together in a boiler. Stir to blend well.
- Add slightly beaten egg yolks into the dry ingredients. Slowly add the milk a bit at a time until well blended, Over LOW heat, cook stirring CONSTANTLY until thickened (about 5 minutes.) Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla and butter and stir to blend well. Pour into a baked 9 inch pie crust.
- TO PREPARE THE MERINGUE:
Put the 3 egg whites in a small deep bowl. (I use a chilled aluminum bowl.) Beat on high until medium soft peaks begin to form.
- Slowly add the sugar and beat until the egg whites are glossy and holds firm, stiff peaks.
- Spoon over the chocolate mixture in the pie crust, pulling the meringue into peaks. Bake in a preheated oven until lightly browned.
- Allow to cool, then refrigerate until ready to serve.