My Grandmother's Chocolate Pie
- 4 Tbsp
- cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsp
- 1 1/2 c
- 1 c
- egg yolks
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 stick
- 9 inch pie crust, baked
- egg whites
- 6 Tbsp
CHOCOLATE PIE FILLING
How to Make My Grandmother's Chocolate Pie
- 1FOR CHOCOLATE PIE FILLING:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Mix all dry ingredients (cocoa, flour, and sugar) together in a boiler. Stir to blend well.
- 3Add slightly beaten egg yolks into the dry ingredients. Slowly add the milk a bit at a time until well blended, Over LOW heat, cook stirring CONSTANTLY until thickened (about 5 minutes.) Remove from heat.
- 4Add vanilla and butter and stir to blend well. Pour into a baked 9 inch pie crust.
- 5TO PREPARE THE MERINGUE:
Put the 3 egg whites in a small deep bowl. (I use a chilled aluminum bowl.) Beat on high until medium soft peaks begin to form.
- 6Slowly add the sugar and beat until the egg whites are glossy and holds firm, stiff peaks.
- 7Spoon over the chocolate mixture in the pie crust, pulling the meringue into peaks. Bake in a preheated oven until lightly browned.
- 8Allow to cool, then refrigerate until ready to serve.