Mama's Buttermilk Pie
This recipe was RUNNER-UP in the Just A Pinch Family Holiday Traditions Recipe Contest!
My goodness... what a way to indulge! This has found a place in the top of my comfort food list. As a child I used to eat buttermilk pie at every opportunity... not much has changed!
Most folks will tell you that a buttermilk pie like this is best after it's been chilled, but I love it fresh out of the oven. Mmmmmm. Give this one a try!
- 1 c
- butter, melted
- eggs, beaten
- 2 Tbsp
- 2 c
- 1 tsp
- 1 c
- 1 tsp
- (9in) deep dish unbaked pie shells
How to Make Mama's Buttermilk Pie
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, Buttermilk and Vanilla extract.
- 2In a large bowl, add salt, corn starch and sugar. Melt butter in the microwave. Pour the butter on top of dry ingredients. Mix well. Once all this is mixed then pour the egg mixture on top. Stir till all is incorporated.
- 3Pour into pie shells evenly.
Bake for 50mintues to 1 hour. Pies will be a little jiggle but not runny when done.
- 4*TIP: If you have a pie shield place it on top of crust about 35min into cooking. If you don't you can cover the crust with foil to keep it from burning.
*TIP: When the pie is done, if the butter looks like it is sitting on top of the pies just give it time to rest and it will seep back into the pie. Also placing the pie in the fridge will also help this.