Maine Shaker Lemon Pie
You'll need a very sharp knife or a slicer with adjustments on it to slice the lemons paper thin.
3organic meyer lemons or thin skinned lemons
2 1/2 corganic pure cane sugar i like to use half cane and half baker's sugar
6exlarge organic eggs
·organic raw cream or milk
How to Make Maine Shaker Lemon Pie
- Preheat the oven to 450* This is a must with pies.
Cut the ends off the lemon one at a time so as not lose too much juice.. You are going to use all of the lemon ..rind and all. Although the original recipe says to leave the seeds in. I don't! DO NOT remove the rind or pith.
Slice lemons paper thin. Gently pick out the seeds, I do this with an upholstery needle. Or you can use a toothpick.
Place 1/2 of the sugar in the bottom of a bowl, then place the lemon slices in, then pour rest of sugar on top. Let it sit for 15 minutes. Stir gently. Cover bowl and place in refrigerator overnight. The longer it sits the better.
- Prepare two pie crusts..one for the bottom and one for the top. Or buy refrigerated pie crusts at the store.
Roll bottom pie crust out and place in pie pan.
- Beat eggs till frothy. Stir gently into the lemons and sugar mixture.
- Spoon lemons, sugar and egg mixture into prepared pie crust. Scrap the bowl to get all the juice, egg and sugar mixture.
Roll out the top pie crust and place it on top. Flute or pinch pie crust. Cut a cross on top of pie crust...roll the edges carefully to make a medium size vent hole and to expose some of the lemons.
- Brush top with cream or milk.
Optional: Sprinkle coarse sugar on top.
- Bake 450* for 15 mins. Reduce heat to 350* bake 30 more mintues till crust is a golden color. Cool
Here is my crust I normal use. But I am getting lazy in my ole age and use Pillsbury most of the time now.
Perfect Pie Crust Everytime
Serve at room temp or cold. Refrigerate when finished serving.
Update 2/28/2013 I added 3 tablespoon of butter just before adding the top crust to the lemons. It came out just wonderful. The butter added a smoothness and richness I hoped it would.