Lattice Strawberry-rhubarb pie
Good anytime of course !
- 2 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp
- 6 Tbsp
- each cold butter, cut in small pieces, and trans-fat free shortening
- 1 Tbsp
- lemon juice
- 2-4 Tbsp
- cold water
- 1 1/4 lb
- rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/2
- 16 oz
- container of strawberries (hulled and halved)
- 2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 1 c
- 1/4 c
- 1 tsp
- ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp
- butter, cut in small pieces
- 1 1/2 Tbsp
How to Make Lattice Strawberry-rhubarb pie
- 1Pastry: You can use a ready made 2 crust pie dough or follow recipe above. If you make your own chill the two balls of dough in refrigerator til firm enough to roll out.
Place a sheet of foil on rim edge baking sheet and put in lower rack of oven in case of spill-over.
Heat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a 9" pie plate with nonstick spray.
Roll out first ball of dough to 12" circle and fit in pie plate and up sides.
Roll out second ball to 11" circle and cut in 1" wide strips.
Toss rhubarb and strawberries with vanilla in large bowl.
Mix sugar, cornstarch and ginger in a small bowl until blended, toss with berry mixture to evenly coat.
Spoon into pastry lined pie plate, dot with butter.
Arrange 5 dough strips across pie. Arrange remaining 5 strips at right angles, weaving. Press ends into edge, fold under and crimp. Brush strips with water, sprinkle with sugar.
- 3Place pie on center oven rack, back 25 minutes.
Reduce heat to 350 degrees, rotate pie 180 degrees and bake for 50 minutes more (loosely shield pie with foil if crust gets too brown), until crust is golden and filling bubbles.
Cool on wire rack. Serve at room temperature.