key lime Pie
The recipe says you can use just lime juice, but I really encourage you to get your hands on real key lime juice. Should be in the same local as lemon and lime juices.
- 3 large
- 14 oz
- can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 c
- key lime juice
- 2 to3
- drops food coloring
- 1/2 tsp
- cream of tartar
- 6 Tbsp
- unbaked pie crust
How to Make key lime Pie
- 1Pre heat oven to 325°.
- 2Separate the whites from the yolks.
Put whites in fridge to keep cold.
- 3With an electric mixer whip the egg yolks, then add the sweetened condensed milk a little at a time, then add in the lime juice.
- 4Put the pie crust into a 9 inch pie pan, and dock it all over with the tines of a fork.
- 5Pour the filling into the crust and bake for 30 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile whip tbe egg whites with the cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
Add the sugar a tablespoon at a time and continue to whip until sugar is well incorporated.
- 7Increase oven temperature to 350°
- 8Spread the stiffened egg whites over the warm pie, making sure to have it touching the edge of the crust.
Take your spatula and tap all over to bring up the peaks