key lime Pie
The recipe says you can use just lime juice, but I really encourage you to get your hands on real key lime juice. Should be in the same local as lemon and lime juices.
How to Make key lime Pie
- Pre heat oven to 325°.
- Separate the whites from the yolks.
Put whites in fridge to keep cold.
- With an electric mixer whip the egg yolks, then add the sweetened condensed milk a little at a time, then add in the lime juice.
- Put the pie crust into a 9 inch pie pan, and dock it all over with the tines of a fork.
- Pour the filling into the crust and bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile whip tbe egg whites with the cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
Add the sugar a tablespoon at a time and continue to whip until sugar is well incorporated.
- Increase oven temperature to 350°
- Spread the stiffened egg whites over the warm pie, making sure to have it touching the edge of the crust.
Take your spatula and tap all over to bring up the peaks