Granny Carvell's Chocolate Pie
This recipe works best if cooked in a heavy aluminum dutch oven size pan. I use a piece from Club Aluminum that my mom had forty years ago!
3 Tbspbutter or margarine
1/2 cself rising flour
3egg yolks (retain whites in large mixing bowl for meringue)
1 1/2 cmilk
1unbaked pie shell
3reserved egg whites
How to Make Granny Carvell's Chocolate Pie
- Bake pie shell for 10 - 15 minutes in 350 degree oven while you prepare filling.
- In heavy aluminum dutch oven style pan, melt butter over low heat.
- Add sugar, cocoa and flour.
- Add milk and egg yolks, stirring well.
- Use wire whisk to stir over medium heat. Beat with whisk to make sure all flour is broken up and well blended.
- Switch to large metal spoon, stirring continually until thickened to pudding consistency.
- Add vanilla and beat well with spoon.