Granny Carvell's Chocolate Pie
This recipe works best if cooked in a heavy aluminum dutch oven size pan. I use a piece from Club Aluminum that my mom had forty years ago!
- 3 Tbsp
- butter or margarine
- 1/2 c
- 1 c
- 1/2 c
- self rising flour
- egg yolks (retain whites in large mixing bowl for meringue)
- 1 1/2 c
- 1 tsp
- unbaked pie shell
- reserved egg whites
- 3 tsp
How to Make Granny Carvell's Chocolate Pie
- 1Bake pie shell for 10 - 15 minutes in 350 degree oven while you prepare filling.
- 2In heavy aluminum dutch oven style pan, melt butter over low heat.
- 3Add sugar, cocoa and flour.
- 4Add milk and egg yolks, stirring well.
- 5Use wire whisk to stir over medium heat. Beat with whisk to make sure all flour is broken up and well blended.
- 6Switch to large metal spoon, stirring continually until thickened to pudding consistency.
- 7Add vanilla and beat well with spoon.