Fresh Cherry Dump Cobbler
- 9 c
- pitted fresh cherries
- 1/2 c
- apple juice
- 1 c
- 1/2 c
- light brown sugar, unpacked
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 tsp
- 1/2 c
- brandy or to taste
- 2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp
- 2 Tbsp
- cornstarch plus cold water
- 1 pkg
- 2 10" store bought pie crusts or make your own
- sugar and butter for top crust
How to Make Fresh Cherry Dump Cobbler
- 6Add just enough cold water to Cornstarch to liquify and then add to cherry mixture. Stir until sauce thickens. Add more cornstarch if needed.
- 7While cherries are cooking, line one pie crust in a 3 quart casserole dish like you would if making a pie. Do not prick bottom with fork.
- 8With ladle, spoon 1/2 of the cherry filling onto the crust.
- 9With the second pie crust, lay on flat surface and cut strips. Then in a criss cross design, place the strips on the cherry filling. Be sure to leave enough strips of dough for top layer.
- 10Add the rest of the cherry filling on top of the criss cross dough.
- 11With the remainder of the pie crust, repeat the criss cross design on top of the second layer of filling, sealing edges to the first layer of dough. Sprinkle with sugar and dot with 1 to 2 tablespoons of butter. Bake at 350 for 50 to 55 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Place on rack to cool. Serve warm with Vanilla Ice Cream.
When Cherry season was here I bought an abundance of cherries to make just the filling of this Fresh Cherry Dump Cobbler. I decided that this cobbler was so extremely good that I wanted to be able to make it in the months when fresh cherries were not available. So I made four batches of the filling and put it in four jars that were large enough to hold the filling for one cobbler each. I placed the jars in the freezer and then on New Years Day 2013, I made my first, out of season, Fresh Cherry Dump Cobbler by following the above instructions after thawing out the Cherry filling. I can report that the cobbler was sensational and tasted just like it was made with just picked fresh cherries. I highly recommend this procedure if you would also enjoy serving this delicious dessert to your family and friends any time of the year!