Deep Dish Apple Pie
- 1 c
- self rising flour
- 1 c
- all purpose flour
- 4 oz
- chilled, unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp
- superfine sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp
- jars of baker's apple pie filling
- you will need a 9 inch springform pan, baking/parchment paper, rolling pin and flour sifter
- 8 large
- apples peeled, cored, thickly sliced
- thick strips of lemon rind
- cinnamon stick
- whole cloves
- 1/2 c
How to Make Deep Dish Apple Pie
- 1Grease a 9 inch deep spring form pan with Pam, then line the bottom piece with baking/parchment paper. After you close the pan around the paper cut off the extra around the bottom. Grease and lightly flour the pan, ensuring a thin and complete coat.
- 2Sift the flours, then rub in the butter(mix in between your fingers and into the flours) until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. (I cut the butter into four pieces length wise, and then into cubes). Mix in the sugar, add 1 egg, and all the milk.
- 3Mix with a flat bladed knife until the mixture comes together, adding more milk if necessary. (Pastry should be slightly crumbly) Turn onto a lightly floured sheet of baking/parchment paper and gather together. Roll 2/3 of the pastry between two sheets of baking/parchment paper for the bottom and sides of the pan. Ease into the tin, then roll out the remaining pastry large enough to cover the top. Chill all pastry for 20 minutes.
- 4Put the apples, rind, cloves, cinnamon, sugar and 2 cups of water in a large pan. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes until tender. Remove from heat drain and cool. Discard the rind, cloves and cinnamon then spoon into the crust.
Its a pretty good filling, but like I said this makes a huge pie, when I use the Baker's Apple Pie Filling I use 2 jars which equals 4 lbs of filling. Very good either way :)
- 5Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spoon filling into pan, cover with remaining pastry. Lightly brush with the remaining beaten egg over the edges to seal. Prick the top with a fork, trim the edges and crimp to seal. Brush top with egg and sprinkle with superfine sugar and bake for 50 minutes. (I like to check the pie every 10 minutes or so to insure the top browns evenly)
- 6Let pie completely cool before you open the spring form pan or else it will fall apart.