You can use any kind of nut you want, I have used walnuts and hazlenuts so far but would think about pecans or pistachios.
Also, you can probably play around with the cranberries add some other berries or replace them altogether with a mix of berries.
The "original" recipe said to use an 8x8 pan but i prefer a 9" pie plate for both portioning and presentation.
How to Make Cranberry Surprise
- preheat oven to 325 degrees
- place filling - cranberries , chopped nuts and sugar- in bottom of pan (8x8 or 9" pie)
- beat 2 eggs, add 1 cup sugar and mix.
- add 1/2 cup melted butter and 1 cup flour, mix well.
- pour over cranberry mixture. bake 1 hour until top is golden and not cracked.