Colored Pie Crust Flowers & other decorations
All but one of these were made by Amy Bronee of familyfeedbag.com/...-apple-pie.html who is an excellent home maker and cook
How to Make Colored Pie Crust Flowers & other decorations
- 1INSTRUCTIONS FOR THE SPRING TIME FLOWER PIE:
Make your pie and put top crust on... then place it in the fridge while you make the decorations.
- 2Using left over dough scraps from your pie -- separate into 4 lumps. Add a few drops of food coloring to each lump and thoroughly combine -- May need to add a little more flour to regain dough consistency (still need to not overwork -- the longer it is "worked" the more it needs to rest in the fridge or freezer)
- 3Wrap all 4 lumps in plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 10 minutes -- then move to fridge and pull out individual colors as needed.
- 4Pulling out one color at a time, roll out crusts (flour the bottom rolling surface, cover the top with plastic wrap and roll gently -- this prevents white flour from changing the color of the dough on top and it won't stick to your rolling pin)
- 5Using cookie cutters, stencils, or free-hand with a knife -- cut out individual flower petals, centers, and leaves (see photo)(They don't have to be perfect!!)
- 6Cut slim "flower stems" into top crust of pie for venting and decorating
- 7Arrange flowers and leaves around the stem openings on the top pie crust. A drop of water on each piece should make them stick. If necessary, a tiny drop on the crust may help, too.
- 8After they are on the pie, using the back of a knife (the dull edge), score the petals and leaves for added depth (see photo)
- 9Refrigerate pie for 30 minutes if necessary
- 10Bake as usual.