Coconut Meringue Pie (Old Recipe)
It is a flour based custard with meringue, topped with 1/2 cup of coconut, which is a lot of coconut on top. When browning the meringue, don't burn the coconut!!
(The picture is a representation -- your pie may look slightly different. The recipe is authentic.)
- 1/4 c
- 5 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp
- 2 c
- egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 c
- 2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- egg whites, beaten stiff
- 6 Tbsp
- 1/2 c
ONE PREPARED PIE CRUST (ANY KIND)
How to Make Coconut Meringue Pie (Old Recipe)
- 1Preheat the oven to 400 F -- for the meringue.
- 2In a double boiler combine the sugar, flour, and salt
- 3Add the milk and slightly beaten egg yolks, mixing well
- 4Cook for 10 minutes, stirring constantly
- 5Add 1 Cup of coconut and vanilla, cool slightly
- 6Turn into pie shell
(This is the old tyme way of saying "pour" it into the pie shell.)
- 7Meringue: Beat three egg whites until stiff, gradually add six tablespoons of sugar and continue beating until stiff.
- 8Cover pie with meringue, and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of coconut on top.
- 9Brown the meringue in a 400 F oven for 5 minutes (or until browned).
- 10NOTE: Do not let the meringue sit after it has been made, or it will become weepy. For best results just make it, spread it, sprinkle the coconut, and put it in the preheated oven to brown immediately. The coconut will toast during this process, too, but be careful not to over do it.