Coconut Cream Pie
19" pie crust
1/4 ccorn starch
2 chalf and half
4 Tbspreal salted butter
1 csweetened flaked coconut
2 1/2 tspvanilla, divided
2 cheavy whipping cream
How to Make Coconut Cream Pie
- Prepare your pie crust, fold edges under, and crimp. Prick bottom and sides of pie crust with a fork. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch in a heavy saucepot. Whisk together half-and-half and egg yolks. Gradually whisk egg mixture into sugar mixture; bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Boil for 1 minute; remove from heat.
- Stir in butter until completely incorporated. Stir in 1 cup coconut and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Cover with plastic wrap, placing plastic wrap directly on filling in pot; let stand to cool for 30 minutes. (However, if you are impatient like me, place saucepot in a bowl of ice water and stir until filling has cooled then spoon into your pie crust. Be careful not to splash water into the pie filling.) Spoon mixture into baked and cooled crust, cover and chill overnight for best results or for at least 30 minutes or until filling has set.
- Beat whipping cream at high speed until foamy; gradually add 1/3 cup sugar and remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla. Beat until soft peaks form. Spread or pipe whipped cream over pie filling.
- Garnish with toasted coconut (optional)