Classic Chocolate Cream Pie
This is the old-fashioned, from-scratch method which I have avoided over the past several years in favor of quick, easy, and time-saving newer recipes. But NOTHING takes the place of the original recipe! Hope you enjoy!
- sections (½ oz each) hershey's unsweetened chocolate baking bar, broken into pieces
- 3 c
- whole milk, divided
- 1 1/3 c
- 3 Tbsp
- all purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp
- 1/2 tsp
- egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp
- 1 1/2 tsp
- vanilla extract
- baked pie crust (9-inch) or crumb crust
- sweetened whipped cream (optional)
How to Make Classic Chocolate Cream Pie
- 1Combine chocolate and 2 cups milk in medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, just until mixture boils. Remove from heat and set aside.
- 2Stir together sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt in medium bowl. Whisk remaining 1 cup milk into egg yolks in separate bowl; stir egg mixture into sugar mixture. Gradually add to the chocolate mixture. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture boils; boil and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla.
- 3Pour into prepared crust and press plastic wrap directly onto surface. Cool, then refrigerate until well chilled. Top with whipped cream, if desired.
- 4Another option:
Using the 3 egg whites left from getting your egg yolks, make a meringue topping.
1~ Whip egg whites with 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually whip in 1/4 cup sugar until stiff peaks form and mixture glistens.
2~ Spread on top of cooled pie, forming swirls and peaks. Bake in preheated 400° oven about 7 minutes until meringue is lightly browned.