**I have also put some unbaked PIEJARS in my freezer to bake later.
As suggested in the book I used the 4 ounce Mason jars. I've read also that when selecting the jars make sure they have sides come up straight. You can remove the pie from the jar onto a plate or eat them right out of the jar.
8tart medium apples
2 Tbspunsalted butter
1 cfirmly packed brown sugar or less according to the tartness of the apples
·pinch of salt
2 pkgrefrigerated pie crust
How to Make Apple PIEJARS
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place the rack in the center of the oven.
- Peel, core and cut the apples into 1/2 inch chunks.
- In a large saute pan add the butter, apples and brown sugar. Stir to combine. When the brown sugar has melted remove the pan from the stove. At this point you can add the brandy(optional). If you are not using the brandy keep the pan on the stovetop.
- Cook the apples about 15 minutes, you do not want them to be mushy.
- Butter the JARS thoroughly. Slightly roll the pie dough just to make it a little bigger, not too thin though(this is where I experimented, you will know). Form the pie crust dough into 8 circles about 5" diameter for the bottom crusts. The tops are made by using the ring of the jar pressed into the dough(it's a perfect fit). Re-roll the dough scraps to make all of the circles.
- ** IF you are going to freeze the PIEJARS for later use, do not use the egg wash. Simply place the pie dough into the jar, fill, crimp the top crust. Then cover with the lid and ring to seal. Freeze.
When you are ready to bake the PIEJARS remove from the freezer, let them come to room temperature and bake accordingly.