APPLE PIE the1958 "Silver Grill"in SPOKANE WA
Nancy J. Patrykus
An UNUSUAL and delicious, Dorthy Dean APPLE PIE Recipe, as the apples are first baked in the pie, and then a syrup made from boiling down the apple cores and peels, honey, water, etc.was then poured through a hole in the top of the finished pie! This original recipe first appeared in The Spokesman Review's Dining Out with Dorothy Dean column in 1958. 1999,2011
Check it out traveltips.usatoday.com/history-hote...
- 6 c
- tart apple slices. ( wa. apples, please )
- 1/3 c
- 1/2 tsp
- 1 pinch
- 1 pt
- 1/2 c
- 2 tsp
- lemon juice
- 1-1/2 tsp
- corn starch..dissolved in a little cold water
How to Make APPLE PIE the1958 "Silver Grill"in SPOKANE WA
- 3Line a 9 inch pie plate with a good flaky-type pastry rolled to about the thickness of a
nickle. Pile sliced apples into the pastry shell.(I would now dot with butter.)Cover with a pastry top into which a 1/2 inch circular vent has been cut( into the middle) to allow steam to escape.
- 4Brush top of the crust with milk to aid in browning. Bake in a pre-heated 400 F oven 30 minutes.
Remove pie from oven and pour syrup into the top vent hole as much as the pie will hold. Let the pie cool before serving.
- 5It seems it was a very popular recipe !
Sorry..The place was closed in 1989
The pie crust I like is:
There is always enough pie dough scraps left over to make
ITTLE BITTY CINNAMON ROLLS . MMmmmmmmm