Sneak-ret Ingredient Donuts
- 3 1/2 c
- flour, about
- 4 tsp
- baking powder
- 2 tsp
- 1 tsp
- baking soda
- 3/4 tsp
- each: salt, nutmeg, cloves
- 2 Tbsp
- butter, softened
- 1 c
- 1/3 c
- 1 c
- finely shredded carrots
- 1 tsp
- grated orange peel or zest
- salad oil for frying
- 2 c
- confectioner's sugar
- 3 tsp
- orange juice
- 1 Tbsp
- finely grated carrot
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 c
- chopped walnuts, optional
How to Make Sneak-ret Ingredient Donuts
- 1Combine 1 1/2 cups of flour with baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cloves (dry ingredients). Set aside.
- 2In a large mixing bowl beat the butter and sugar together until evenly blended. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition until light and fluffy. Don't rush this step.
- 3With mixer set at medium speed, beat in about half of the flour mixture, then the milk, then the remaining flour -- mixing just until smooth after each addition.
- 4Stir in the carrots, orange peel, and 1 1/2 cups more flour, just until blended.
- 5In a fryer or deep sauce pot heat 2-3 inches of salad oil to 375*.
- 6While the oil is heating, turn the dough out onto a RollPat, or heavily floured surface, and pat or roll the dough to about 1/2" thickness.
Cut the donuts with a 3" donut cutter, which has been dipped in flour to prevent sticking.
- 7Carefully drop the donuts, two or three at a time into the hot oil. When they rise to the surface turn them over.
Cook until both sides are golden brown -- about 3 minutes.
- 8Lift from the oil with a slotted spatula or two-tined fork. Drain on paper toweling.
- 9While the donuts cool a bit, combine glaze ingredients, adding orange juice one teaspoon at a time until you get the desired consistency. Stir until smooth.
- 10Place the donuts on a cooling rack, set on a baking sheet. Spoon about a tablespoon of glaze over each one.
Garnish with finely chopped walnuts.