★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 1/4 call purpose flour
1 1/4 ccake flour
1 Tbspbaking powder, rounded
1 1/2 stickcold butter, cubed
1/2 cheavy cream
2 largeeggs, lightly beaten
8 ozpowdered sugar (by weight)
2 Tbspwhole milk
2 Tbspbutter, melted
1 tspmaple extract
How to Make Scones
- Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and sugar until blended. Cut in butter until there are no pieces bigger than a small pea.
- If adding dried fruit or similar ingredients, stir in now. Beat cream and eggs together and stir into flour mixture just until blended. Do not overstir!
- Dump out onto floured board and knead 4-5 times until it all comes together. Handling as little as possible, pat into a circle or square, about 1" thick, and cut into individual wedges (6).
- Place on parchment papered cookie sheet (or silicone mat). Brush with cream, sprinkle with turbinado sugar. Bake at 400 deg F for 15 minutes. Glaze while warm (optional). Cool on rack or serve slightly warm.
Blend all ingredients. If needed, add tiny amounts of milk to make pourable (but not too thin) and drizzle over scones.
- Optional varietes:
1. Coconut scones: Add 1 cup shredded coconut and 1 cup chopped pecans to flour mixture after cutting in butter. Add 1/2 tsp coconut extract to milk mixture and use coconut extract in glaze.
2. Dried Fruit Scones: Add 1 cup chopped dried fruit and zest of one lemon after cutting in butter.
3. Ginger Lemon Scones: Add 1/2 cup chopped crystallized ginger and zest of 1 lemon after cutting in butter.