How to Make Royal Icing
- In a large mixing bowl, add the separated egg whites and 2 tsp lemon juice.
- Slowly mix with a wire whisk.
- Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
- Mix on medium speed until well blended.
- To add coloring, I recommend using only gel food colors as they add brilliant color without thinning your frosting.
For piping, I add all four cups of sugar and blend until stiff glossy peaks form that do not disappear into the bowl after 3-second count. If using for "flooding" or filling I only add 3 cups.
- If you have thickened the frosting too much add the milk a small amount at a time until you achieve the consistency you're looking for.