Guiltless Beetroot Cupcakes
1 cwhole-wheat pastry flour
2 tspbaking powder
1/4 ccarob chips (or substitute semi-sweet chocolate chips)
4small organic roasted red beets, peeled
3/4 cunsweetened applesauce
1large egg, at room temperature
3/4 c(6 oz) neufchatel cheese, at room temperature
1/4 corganic low-fat plain strained greek yogurt
3 Tbspmaple syrup
1/2 tspfreshly grated organic orange peel (optional)
How to Make Guiltless Beetroot Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Add roasted beets and applesauce into a small blander or food processor. Puree until the mixture is smooth (you should have 1 1/4 cup of the beets-apple puree).
- Combine flour, Sucanat, cinnamon, baking powder, and carob chips in the bowl of electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- With a mixer on a low speed, add the beets-applesauce puree and an egg. Mix until combined.
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners, or spray with nonstick baking spray. Spoon batter into lined muffin cups, filling them about 2/3 full. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until the toothpick inserted into a center of a cupcake comes out clean. Allow to cool in a pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
- Note: To roast beets, wrap washed beetroots in aluminum foil. Create a foil packet by folding the foil over beets and crimping the sides closed. Place the packet into the oven, at 375° F for about 40-45 minutes, or until the beetroots can be easily pierced with a fork.