Quick Utah Scones
These are individual pieces of white bread, deep fried in hot oil so they puff up, and then served hot with butter and honey -- or orange marmalade.
I'm never up for making bread, but I discovered that if I buy frozen dinner rolls, let them thaw, then fry them, they are as as good as the original
How to Make Quick Utah Scones
- 1Take out as many rolls as you wish to make. These are addictive, so controlling portions is probably a good idea. (Sorry LOL)
- 2If you don't eat them hot, just don't bother, because it is not the same.
- 3Let your bread or rolls thaw (do not try to fry them frozen). They must thaw and rise a little.
- 4Cut them to a size that will fit in the palm of your hand (they expand). I think that each roll will probably make at least two, maybe three, depending on the size of the rolls. No need to punch them down and don't handle or fiddle with them too much. Just thaw, raise, cut, and cook.
- 5Then c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y drop them into the hot oil.
NOTE:I don't really know what temperature, just don't let it get so hot it is smoking -- that is too hot. I turn the burner to high, then lower it to medium when the coconut oil (or whatever oil you are using) is melted or ready. Test it with a small piece of dough to see if it sizzles. DO NOT TEST with water -- that will spatter and burn anyone standing near. Meaning you.
- 6NOTE: This could also be done in a deep fryer if you have one. If you have one, you probably know what temperature you need. If not, check the manual that came with the appliance.
- 7They should sizzle a little when dropped into the oil. Let them cook on one side until golden brown. Then with tongs, turn them over to finish browning and rising on the other side.
- 8C-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y remove them from the hot oil and place on a double or triple layer of paper towels over a brown paper bag to drain for about two minutes.
- 9Serve hot with butter and honey, etc.
- 10To eat: break it open, and put the butter and honey on the inside. Since the scone is hot the butter will melt and as you put the honey on with a butter knife the butter and honey will get all mixed up and messy.
- 11Messy is perfect. Take your first bite, and well, you know how to do the rest!! Ha Ha