Nut Free Baklava
- 1 pkg
- phyllo pastry sheets
- 1 stick
- butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp
- orange zest
- 1 c
- sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 c
- cups sugar
- 1 c
- 3 Tbsp
- 1 tsp
- lemon zest
How to Make Nut Free Baklava
- 1You will need a 8-9 inch square pan.
Pre-heat your oven to 325 degrees.
- 2To make the filling, simply mix together the sesame seeds, sugar, orange zest, and spices.
- 3Next, cut your phyllo sheets with a knife to fit the pan.
- 4Butter your pan, or use cooking spray. Then, add a sheet of phyllo and brush with butter. Add 3 more sheets, brushing with butter after each sheet. Then add a thin layer of the filling. Add three more sheets, (buttering each sheet) then more filling, and keep repeating this until you've used up the filling, topping it off with three sheets of phyllo, and a brushing of butter.
- 5Now, cut it into squares, since it will be difficult to do this after it has baked.
- 6Toss it into the oven for 1 hour.
- 7While it's baking, make the syrup. To make the syrup, just toss all of your syrup ingredients (sugar, water, honey, lemon zest) into a pot and stir, until the sugar dissolves. Bring it to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, or until it has a thin but syrup-like consistency.
When your baklava is finished baking, pour the syrup over it, and enjoy!