Not your average Cake Pops
1baked chocolate cake
2 lba'peels or other candy coating disk i use vanilla
1/4 lba'peels or other candy coating in chocolate
12 ozbag of semi sweet chocolate chips
1 can(s)sweetened condensed milk (14 oz)
·styrofoam board for drying pops
·small cookie scoop
How to Make Not your average Cake Pops
- Bake cake according to box directions. If you are a cake decorator you can save the cake scraps from leveling your cakes to use for pops.
- Use food processor to pulse cake into crumbs. Place in bowl and set aside.
- In sauce pan combine chocolate chips and sweetened condensed milk and over low heat stir till chocolate is melted. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Let cool about 5 minutes.
- You will not need to use all the ganache, but you can store the remainder in the freezer for your next use, or it is nice to add to a hot cup of coffee! This is not the typical way of making ganache however this remains stable longer at room temp that is why I use sweeten condensed milk rather than heavy cream.
- Add half of the chocolate mixture to your cake crumbs and stir to blend, you will have to add a bit more just till the cake crumbs form into a thick dough.
- When cake balls are chilled, melt a small amount of the vanilla candy coating mix. Dip the end of a lollipop stick about 1/2 inch into the candy coating and insert the stick into the cake ball on the flat side that was resting on the cookie sheet. Do this to each of the cake balls.
- Melt remaining coating mixture over a double boiler, if you microwave it be very careful not to burn it, stop and stir ever 20 seconds. You don't want the topping to get real hot. Now dip your pop into the the melted coating and tap off gently the excess coating mixture. Place upright on styrofoam and let dry. Drizzle some of the chocolate coating to decorate the pops. Store in air tight container in the fridge. Remove about 20 minutes before serving, but they taste good even served cold!
- I will be doing a how to video in the near future on making them. Will post a link when it is done.