- 3 c
- whipping cream
- 2/3 c
- whole coffee beans
- 3 Tbsp
- 2-inch piece vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1-ounce squares semisweet chocolate, melted
- 2 tsp
How to Make Mocha Pots de Creme
- 1Combine whipping cream, coffee beans, sugar, and vanilla bean in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently; cover, remove from heat, and let stand 30 minutes. Strain the coffee mixture; discard the coffee beans and vanilla bean.
- 2Gradually pour the coffee mixture into the egg yolks, stirring with a wire whisk. Gradually add to melted chocolate, stirring constantly with a wire whisk. Stir in cognac.
- 3Pour mixture evenly into six 4-ounce pots de creme or souffle cups. Place cups in a 13x9x2 inch baking pan; add hot water to pan to a depth of 1 inch. Add tops to the pots de creme cups, or place a baking sheet on top of the souffle cups. Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a knife inserted between the center and edge of custard comes out clean (custard should still look soft in the center).
- 4Uncover cups, and remove from the pan. Let cool to room temperature on a wire rack. Serve at room temperature, or cover and chill.