Lemon Glazed Gingerbread
Make sure that the gingerbread is completed cooled before cutting into squares and storing in an airtight container. The gingerbread matures as it ages and will become sticky.
·2 cups flour
·1 tsp baking powder
·1 tsp cream of tarter
·1 1/4 tsp ginger, freshly ground (or 1 tsp ground)
·1/2 cup butter, cold, diced
·1 cup brown sugar
·1/2 cup candied ginger, diced
·1/3 cup mollasses, warmed
·1/3 cup milk (or buttermilk )
·1 cup icing sugar
·2 tsp lemon juice
·1/4 tsp grated lemon rind
How to Make Lemon Glazed Gingerbread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease pan and set aside until needed.
- To a large bowl add the flour, baking soda, cream of tarter, and ground ginger, mix well.
- Next, add the butter into your flour mixture with a pastry cutter or fork. (Rub butter into the flour like you would when making biscuits or scones)
- Now add in the brown sugar and 1/4 cup of the candied ginger and stir together.
- Gently heat the milk on the stove and pour in the molasses; stirring until it is dissolved.
- Pour the milk mixture into the flour and gently stir until it resembles a soft cookie dough.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan, place in preheated oven and bake for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely on a wire rack.
- Mix the icing sugar with the lemon juice until the sugar dissolves.
- Once the bread is cooled, drizzle with the glaze and sprinkle with the reserved candied ginger.