Key Lime Pie Cupcakes
- 1 pkg
- lemon cake mix (use one with pudding in the mix for a heavier, moister cupcake)
- 1 c
- vegetable oil
- 1/2 c
- key lime juice (or lime juice)
- 1/2 c
- 1 Tbsp
- lime zest
- 2 stick
- butter, softened
- 1/4 c
- key lime for lime juice (may need more depending on frosting flavor and consistency desired)
- 4-5 c
- powdered sugar (may add more depending on desired consistency and flavor)
- 1 Tbsp
- heavy whipping cream
KEY LIME BUTTERCREAM FROSTING
How to Make Key Lime Pie Cupcakes
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 cupcake cups with baking cups (or 48 mini cupcake cups)
- 2Put cake mix, oil, juice, water, eggs, and lime zest in your mixer. Combine til moistened, then beat at medium speed for about two minutes or until batter thickens and has no lumps.
- 3Fill cupcake papers 2/3 full and bake 17-20 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean (oven temps vary, so watch yours for time). Remove from oven and cool in pans for 5-10 minutes, then remove and cool completely.
- 4To make the frosting, beat the two sticks of butter about three minutes until light in color and fluffy; add the lime juice and combine. Add the powdered sugar slowly (I add about 1/4 cup at a time) and combine. If frosting gets too thick, add more lime juice. You can also add more lime juice for more flavor if you wish. Balance out the powdered sugar and lime juice until you get the consistency and flavor you wish. It tends to have a bit of a sweet/tart flavor.
- 5Frost/decorate your cupcakes as you wish. We added a tiny wedge of lime to each cupcake.