Sicillian/Italian Struffoli - A family affair
Our friends Mr.& Mrs. Gunn, my youngest's God Parents, use to make plates & plates of Struffoli as Christmas gifts instead of cookies.
We always waited with great anticipation for Angie and Carmine's visit during the holidays.
All us children attended school together. Freddie & I from grade school through High School.
If one thinks I am 66 years old, then this recipe is over 100 years, from Angie, her mother & so on.
I use to make this for my brother, Nick, one of his favor Christmas sweets. Mine too
- 12 c
- sift flour before measuring
- 4 Tbsp
- 2 tsp
- extra large eggs. beaten
- 2 stick
- 1 sweet butter & 1 regular butter, softened
- vegetable oil or light olive oil
- 1 Tbsp
- freshly grated orange or lemon peel (optional)
- 8 c
- orange bloom honey or tropical fruit honey
- 1/2 c
GLAZE FOR STRUFFOLI
How to Make Sicillian/Italian Struffoli - A family affair
- 1Sorry had to change the word Italian to Scilan...Angie is yelling at me from heaven.
This is a family affair and a fun thing to do for the holidays. Small children can do the multicolored sprinkles, I suggest you have lots of it on hand. Gather the family, one to mix, one to roll, another cut, another to cook, and another to make the honey glaze.
- 2Add the flour and salt together and mix. Add the butter and peel together. Add the eggs to the butter and mix by hand. Gradually add the flour while you keep mixing. When dough is stiff enough to handle, turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead till very smooth and no longer stickly.
Cover dough and set in icebox for several hours.
Divide your dough into equal portions. Cover remaining dough and set in icebox again.
Roll part of the dough with your hands on a very light floured surface into pencil thick size rope about 30" long. DO NOT STRETCH THE DOUGH WHILE YOU ARE ROLLING IT.
Cut pencil size eraser pieces of the dough.
Have a large pan of oil heated to 375*, Drop just enough of the cut pieces of dough to cover surface of oil and cook till golden brown. Stir a little to keep them separated. Lift out with a slated spoon and drain of a cut open paper bag.
When you have finished cooking them add them to a large bowl and pour the Honey Glaze on top. Fold the honey glaze into the bubbles making sure every bubble is covered. Divide into equal portions on plates and sprinkle multicolored sugar sprinkle all over then top and sides.
- 3To make the Honey Glaze, add the honey and sugar together and boil until a lovely golden brown color and it's a bit thick.