INJEOLMI (Korean sweet rice cake)
Recipe from: Maangchi- Korean cooking
Photo by: Maangchi
1 csweet rice flour (glutinous rice flour)
1/2 croasted soybean powder
1 Tbspmugwort powder for ssuk injeolmi (optional)
How to Make INJEOLMI (Korean sweet rice cake)
- Place sweet rice flour, salt, sugar and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Mix it well to make rice cake dough.
- Cover it with Saran wrap, and cook it in a microwave oven for 3 minutes.
- Mix the hot dough with a wooden spoon for about 20 seconds. Put the Saran wrap back on and cook 1 more minute in the microwave.
4. Transfer the rice cake dough into a mortar and pound it for about 1 minute (pound 50 times). You’ll make bubbles and then hear the bubbles popping out while you pound, which mean the consistency of the rice cake is just right: chewy and elastic.
* TIP: Put a little cold water on your hands when you touch the dough so that it won’t stick to your fingers and will keep you from burning yourself.
- Spread roasted soybean powder on a cutting board and place your pounded rice cake in the powder. Roll it around a bit to cover it with a light dusting of powder.
- Cut into bite size pieces.
Coat each piece of the rice cake with the roasted soy bean powder. Transfer to a serving plate.
- Sprinkle with sugar when you serve. (if desired)
- SSUK INJEOLMI --
Same directions as above, plus, add 1 Tablespoon ssukgaru (mugwort powder) and 1 Tablespoon water to the dough when you mix it.
Do NOT be alarmed because MUGWORT will tint imjeolmi a green color.