How to Make English Scones
- Preheat oven to 400f. Lightly grease baking sheet.
- In a large bowl mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter. Rub until mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add raisins.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture. Add the egg and 1/4 cup of the milk. Mix in egg and milk by knocking sides of the dry mixture into the center. Continue doing this until all ingredients are combined, adding milk a little at a time as required.
- Turn out dough onto a floured surface and knead briefly. Roll dough to 1/2 inch thick and cut with a biscuit cutter. Collect off-cuts, knead, roll out and cut again. Repeat this process until all the dough has been used.
- Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with decorating sugar if desired.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown and well risen. Allow to cool on a wire rack. Serve as is, or split and spread with butter or jam and whipped cream.