Caribbean Rum Mousse
4 largefree-run egg yolks
1 cgranulated sugar
1/4 cdark rum such as gosling
1 pkg(1/4 ounce) plain gelatin mixed with 1/4 cup cold water
3 largefree-run egg whites
2 cwhipped cream
1/2 Tbsppowdered sugar
1 tsppure vanilla extract
·shaved dark chocolate, for garnish
How to Make Caribbean Rum Mousse
- In a large bowl, add egg yolks and ½ cup sugar. Using a hand mixer, process until fairly mixed. Add rum and continue mixing until blended; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine gelatin with ¼ cup cold water; stir and sit for 5 minutes. Transfer the bowl into a microwave and warm it up for 30 seconds on “Medium”. Pour gelatin mixture into egg yolk mixture; stir well and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add egg whites and process on high speed until white and fluffy. Gradually add the remaining ½ cup sugar, mixing well between each addition; set aside.
- Fold in gently about 1 to 1 ¼ cups whipped cream (add powdered sugar and vanilla extract) in the egg yolk mixture; reserve some for garnish when serving. Fold in also the egg white mixture. Spoon mousse evenly in serving bowls and levels it using the back of a spoon. Transfer to the refrigerator for 5 hours.
- When time to serve, spoon a dollop remaining whipped cream in each bowl and sprinkle on some dark shaved chocolate. Makes 6 servings