I made this recently when I invited my daughters in laws. Not even a crumb was left.
Its high summer here now so I served it with cream - and rocky road ice cream for those who wanted a cold dessert!
Brandy is the drink of choice for most South Africans and a favourite drink is Brandy & Coke!
250 gdates, stoned and roughly chopped
1 cboiling water
1 tspbicarbonate of soda
2 ccake flour
1 tspbaking powder
1 cchopped walnuts or pecans
1 1/4 csugar
1 tspvanilla extract
1/2 cbrandy (or rum)
How to Make Tipsy Tart
- TART: Divide the dates into two equal parts. Add Bicarbonate of Soda to the one half and pour over the boiling water. Stir to mix and set aside to cool.
- Cream butter and sugar until creamy and add beaten eggs. Mix well.
Sift together the dry ingredients and fold it into the creamed mixture.
- Add the dry half of the dates together with the nuts to the mixture.
Lastly stir in the soaked date and bicarbonate mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Turn the batter into a well greased baking dish or 2 x 9inch tart plates.
Bake in a moderate oven - 180 degrees centigrade or - 350 degrees fahrenheit.
- SYRUP: Cook sugar, butter and water together for 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and add vanilla extract, salt and brandy (or rum). Stir to mix.
Pour the syrup over the hot tart when it is taken out of the oven.
Serve with Cream, Custard or Ice Cream
- NOTE: As you take the tart out of the oven - prick it all over with a toothpick then pour over the sauce.
Make a double batch of the sauce and drizzle some over the cream or ice cream when you serve the tart