Strawberry Ice Cream/Cherry Ice Cream
I encourage you try this vintage recipe, as I know you, your family, and friends will love it. I hope you’ll create some special family moments filled with fond memories making homemade yummy fresh ice cream today!!
- 4 c
- light cream
- 2 large
- 2 c
- 2 qt
- strawberries, fresh
- 1 1/2 c
- heavy cream, cold
- 1 Tbsp
- vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp
- 1 c
- semi-sweet chocolate bar, chopped
- red food coloring drops, as desired
How to Make Strawberry Ice Cream/Cherry Ice Cream
- 2In medium saucepan, beat eggs with 11/4 cups until well blended. Gradually stir in hot cream, careful not to pour cream too quickly as it would "cook" the eggs. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, 15 to 20 minutes, until slightly thickened. Remove from heat;cool.
- 5To freeze 1-quart crank-type freezer. Pour half of the custard mixture into freezer container; insert dasher, and close container tightly. Pack freezer with ice and rock salt in 4 to 1 portion. Crank for 10 minutes. Open the container, carefully as to not let ice or salt to enter custard. Add half the strawberry purée and chopped chocolate. Cover and crank until dasher is difficult to turn.
- 7My Grandpa would make Cherry Ice Cream on special occasions, like when I’d be extra good in church and not fidget too much, or “just because”!
Optional: Cherry Ice Cream
Omit the strawberries. Add 1 tsp. almond extract while adding the vanilla to egg mixture. Add ½ a 10 oz. jar maraschino cherries, drained and chopped in place of strawberries, for cherry ice cream.