Mint Syrup for Vanilla Ice Cream
You can also use this simple syrup recipe to make ginger, basil, cinnamon, vanilla or any flavored syrup you can think of.
Hope you like it, too.
- 3/4 c
- 1 c
- 2 tsp
- pure mint extract (or oil of peppermint, etc.)
- drops of green food coloring
- 1/2 c
- fresh mint leaves
How to Make Mint Syrup for Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring water to a boil and add the sugar. Add fresh mint leaves (or mint flavoring -- your choice).
Simmer until thickened. (About 10 minutes.)
Your are looking for a temperature of 223-235* F which is the "thread" stage
- 2Strain out the leaves if desired. Transfer syrup to a small metal or glass bowl or boat and let sit for 10 minutes. Can be used warm in this dish, but any extra can be cooled and stored in a covered container for up to one month.
- 3NOTE: Can also be made with Creme de Menthe which is how I was first introduced to it many years ago