Second Helping Blueberry Dumplings
2 chot water
1 tspfresh lemon juice, optional
2 tspbaking powder
1 tspcinnamon, optional
1/2 ccrisco or lard
How to Make Second Helping Blueberry Dumplings
- Use a wide 3-4" tall pan. Add butter, sugar, blueberries, and hot water.
- Stew the berry mixture by bringing to a boil.
- Drop dumplings by heaping tablespoons into the boiling stew.
- Lower the heat, cover, and allow steam to cook dumplings 15-25 minutes depending on size of dumplings.
- Making the dumplings...I like to do this in advance of stewing the berries.
- Whisk together all dry ingredients in medium bowl.
- With a pastry brush or meat serving fork, cut in Crisco or lard until you get coarse crumbs.
- Slowing add tablespoons of milk stirring with a spoon or even use your hands until a soft ball of dough forms.
- May use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to partially fill and pour into boiling berry mixture.
- When last of dough has been dropped into boiling berry mixture, lower the heat, cover and steam the dumplings anywhere from 12-20 minutes depending on the size of the dumplings.
- Serve while still hot. My family loves to pour heavy cream over it! And of course, ice cream is always good too!